Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Truck Driving School


“There is more credit and satisfaction in being a first-rate truck driver than a tenth-rate executive,” B.C. Forbes

I’d go much further than the Forbes magazine founder and claim that an able truck driver is more valuable than a good executive.
Women truck drivers in 1942; below, Anne Balay flanked by Gwynne Gerta (l) and Riva Lehrer
On July 12, commenting on a photo posted by Gwynne Gertz, Anne Balay wrote: “Did you ever wonder what two weeks of truck school does to somebody? It's written right there on my face! Happy but f--king exhausted.”

A week ago a friend challenged Anne to name three positive things that occurred to her each day.  Here is her initial post:

1. I'm eating mulberries on my granola that I picked in my own front yard, and they are YUMMY!!!
2. I saw 3 deer as I walked the dog this morning, and they froze in the early morning light.
3. I'm in the first batch of trucker school drivers this morning, so I'll soon enjoy the combined odor of chewing tobacco and diesel fumes, as I double-clutch down the highway, riding curves high and watching my tandems. I love learning a new skill.

After four weeks Anne has finished truck driving school and posted: Wow -- it took Facebook approximately 15 seconds to discover that I'M A TRUCKER, so truck companies should track me down. Maybe the academics and English majors out there can appreciate how it feels to be desirable to employers?!?!?!  But, it's too late - I sold my soul to Roehl Transport Inc.”  IUN’s loss is Roehl’s gain. 

Anne’s dad wrote: “My heart goes out to you. You have been forced out of your chosen profession, but are putting the best possible face on its replacement. You've got grit and a positive attitude.  Can't wait to see you up in the cab, backing a monster into the dock for unloading. Who would have imagined that, watching you walk down the nave at Rockefeller Chapel to have them confer your PhD? In which role do you feel more useful?  I'll bet you will get to see cities whose undersides you have only imagined so far. Bought your engineer boots yet?”

Evidently two instructors were, in Anne’s words, “patient, smart, effective, and generous.”  A third alienated the novice drivers but brought them closer together.  Anne concluded: I've learned volumes about teaching, and about life. Oh, and how to drive a big huge truck.”  She passed the straight back, offset, and parallel parking test on the first try.

Next month Anne will attend the United Steelworkers Constitution Convention in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Marquee Ballroom, where delegates will debate an anti-discrimination resolution to protect LGBTs.  Last Friday she appeared on Lakeshore Public Television with Jan Gentry and Pete Trinidad discussing the burgeoning support for such a resolution due in large part to her book “Steel Closets.”

Last week MSNBC fired Palestinian-born contributor Rula Jebreal for complaining that the network’s coverage of Israel’s assault on the Gaza Strip was unbalanced.  She told AlterNet’s Max Blumenthal: I couldn’t stay silent after seeing the amount of airtime given to Israeli politicians versus Palestinians. They say we are balanced but their idea of balance is 90 percent Israeli guests and 10 percent Palestinians. This kind of media is what leads to the failing policies that we see in Gaza.”

Governor Mike Pence wants to rid Indiana of the 245 Central American children seeking asylum in our country.  The Department of Health and Human Services has located sponsors for them.  Shame on Pence, pandering for Tea Party support as he mulls over a Presidential bid two years hence.  Nobody works harder than Hispanics, and they need our sympathy, not criticisms based on political expediency.

Cousin Joe Robinson called from Seattle while watching a 6-hour, 16-inning Cubs game, a rare victory for them.  Backup catcher John Baker was the winning pitcher.  Chicago does have both leagues’ home run leaders in Anthony Rizzo and José Abreu.

Gardener (and photographer, see above) Steve Spicer posted: “One hour and I’ll be called the chiropractor.”  I responded: “Manuel Kazanas has magic hands.”  He already goes to one he trusts.

9 comments:

  1. I think Ms. Anne Balay had a stressing-but-happy trucker life by just commenting in that picture. My friend is planning to join in a trucking school and I can say that taking driving lesson is a privilege and it has many benefits, that is why the stress is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete


  2. High techniques of driving ar instructed in Advanced Driving faculties. UN agency ar forever divided into room and on-track lessons, and last from hours to days.
    [www.topnotchdrivingschool.com] that has the simplest skills like accident shunning and skid shunning, among others vichle.

    Driving School Simi Valley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article was very helpful for me and others too. The Port Macquarie Driving School also provides training for truck driving. You can take lessons for various other vehicles too. I just completed my car driving training over there. I really like their services!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very disheartening to go to college for your chosen career just to find you can't use the degree. Ann certainly isn't alone in having to change professions. I love the historical picture of the women truck drivers next to Ann and her buddies. Truck driving will be a very lucrative career as well as an adventurous one.

    Elna Avery @ Hansen & Adkins Auto Transport

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    truck driving school

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Truck Driving Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post... Thanks for sharing a wonderful information with us...

    Trucking Fitness Program

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting read! It's great to see more people, like Anne, pursuing careers in trucking. Class A CDL training is an important step towards becoming a skilled and safe truck driver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete